# How can I contribute to Neptune and become a Member?
Membership in Neptune is currently limited to accredited investors, as defined under U.S. law. The total number of members will be capped at a maximum of 99 members.
Members have the opportunity to contribute Ether to Neptune by purchasing between 100,000 and 900,000 units representing an ownership in Neptune ("Neptune Units").
Units will be sold in blocks of 100,000. Each block of Neptune Units will be sold for 60 Ether. Each Member will be permitted to purchase up to 900,000 Neptune Units (9 blocks). The LAO will be allocated 200,000 Units of Neptune for its role in helping to formulate Neptune, in exchange for a contribution amount of 60 Ether.
# Are Neptune Units securities?
Neptune Units have not been approved or disapproved by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, any state securities commission in the United States, or any other global regulatory authority.
# Can I contribute Bitcoin, Dai, or other assets to Neptune?
All contributions are currently only limited to Ether, unless the Members agree otherwise.
# Why is membership in Neptune limited to accredited investors and 99 members?
As noted above, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and/or equivalent government bodies in other jurisdictions have not determined whether membership interests in Neptune (represented as units) are securities.
In the abundance of caution, the limits in membership and accreditation status for U.S. contributors are put in place to:
- comply with U.S. securities law;
- prevent any one party from controlling a disproportionate amount of Neptune; and
- limit the risk of look through issues for Neptune Members that are organized as funds or other legal entities.
# Are there any other requirements needed to become a Member?
To contribute Ether to Neptune, Members will need to go through accredited investor, anti-money laundering ("AML"), Know Your Customer ("KYC"), and Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC") checks as defined under U.S. law and as discussed further below. A joining Member will need to deposit a sufficient amount of Ether from the Member's Ethereum address in order to complete the membership process.
A Member will also need to submit sufficient information to verify the potential member's identity for AML, KYC, and OFAC checks, including:
- uploading a passport or a state issued license;
- providing a social security number or Tax ID; and
- providing proof of the member's primary residence.
Accredited investors include:
- Individuals who have an annual income exceeding $200K or a married couple that has joint income exceeding $300K in the two most recent years and have a reasonable expectation of reaching the same income level this year.
- Individuals who have a net worth that exceeds $1 million (excluding the individual's primary residence).
- Natural persons with certain professional certifications, designations or other credentials.
- “Knowledgeable employees” within the meaning of Rule 3c-5 under the Investment Company Act of 1940.
With respect to legal entities:
- Funds and trusts, with total assets in excess of $5 million, which were not formed specifically to purchase the subject securities, whose purchase is directed by someone who has sufficient knowledge and experience in financial and business matters to evaluate the merits and risks of the prospective investment.
- Any entity in which all of the equity owners are accredited investors.
The full definition can be found here (opens new window).
In order to register and validate members, a potential member will need to supply Neptune with sufficient information to assess whether the member meets these legal requirements, which will be confirmed by Neptune's service provider.
# Post Contribution
Once a Member makes a contribution, Neptune's underlying smart contracts will need to whitelist the Member's applicable Ethereum address. The process for validating and whitelisting the Member's Ethereum address will be done in order of contribution and will take at least 7 total days to complete. The process takes 4 days to process the proposal and another 3 days to provide Members the right to "rage quit" if they so choose.